Mainframe Strength – Built to Last
Helping you get more done with maximum availability, the D9T’s durable design makes repair and maintenance easy. Customers can rebuild these tractors several times using the same frame with only minor repairs. With unparalleled support from Cat dealers it is not unusual for a Cat large dozer to log more than 100,000 hours.
- The D9T mainframes are built to absorb high impact shock loads and twisting forces encountered during severe dozing and ripping applications.
- The main case, equalizer bar saddle, and front cross member are heavy duty steel castings incorporated into highly loaded areas of the mainframe to improve stress distribution for improved durability.
- Top and bottom rails are made from continuous rolled sections, providing superior mainframe durability.
- The main case elevates the final drives well above the ground level work area to protect them from impact loads, abrasion and contaminants.
- The pivot shaft and pinned equalizer bar maintain track roller frame alignment and allow the roller frame to oscillate for smoother ride.
Tag-Link blade mounting brings the blade closer to the machine for excellent maneuverability, machine balance and blade penetration. This design also eliminates the need for diagonal bracing by transferring side loads to the mainframe, instead of the dozer push arms.
Equalizer Bar End Pins
Proper grease lubrication on working surfaces can significantly extend component life and help lower maintenance cost.
- Remote lubrication is performed from a service point conveniently located on the left hand side of the engine compartment and allows an operator or service technician to lubricate both the left-hand and right-hand equalizer bar end pin bearings and pins from one service point.
Performing at full-rated net power of 306 kW (410 hp), the large displacement and high torque rise allow the D9T to rip through tough material. Matched to the high-efficiency torque converter and electronically controlled power shift transmission, it will provide years of reliable service.
ADEM™ A4 Engine Controller
Manages fuel delivery for optimal performance per liter (gallon) of fuel used. Provides flexible fuel mapping, allowing the engine to respond quickly to application needs. Tracks conditions and keeps engine operating at peak efficiency.
Air-to-Air Aftercooling and Airflow
Air-to-air aftercooling keeps air intake temperatures down and, in concert with the tight tolerance combustion chamber components, maximizes fuel efficiency and minimizes emissions. Significant improvements in air flow are generated by a water-cooled turbocharger, unique cross-flow head and single overhead cam.
Fuel Heater (optional)
Uses the temperature of the engine coolant to warm the cold fuel coming directly from the tank. The fuel heater allows an easier transition to winter blended fuels during season changes.
High Altitude Arrangement (optional)
The attachment provides an updated turbo and control software that allows full tractor performance up to 4420 m (14,500 ft) altitude.
Aluminum Bar Plate Radiator – 6 Fins Per Inch (fpi)
Cooling system uses a radiator built with rugged, highly efficient aluminum bar plate cores. The aluminum bar plate construction aids durability and allows for higher heat transfer and superior corrosion resistance.
Hydraulic Oil to Air Cooler
Helping to save on repair and maintenance costs, the oil to air hydraulic cooler helps extend component life by reducing hydraulic oil temperatures.
Hydraulically Variable, Demand Fan
Customers experience increased production and fuel economy as well as reductions in fan noise and engine over cooling with the hydraulically variable demand fan. The demand fan changes speed to match ambient conditions. In cooler environments, the fan turns at a slower speed; consuming only the power required to cool the tractor system, providing more power to the tracks to help you lower your cost per unit of material moved.
- Reversing cooling fan for heavy debris applications with ultra low speed for cold weather.
The D9T power train design optimizes performance and the ease of operation helps customers get more done for the lowest cost per unit.
A high efficiency torque converter with fixed stator provides high torque multiplication while shielding the drive train from sudden torque shocks and vibration.
Enhanced Autoshift (EAS)
A standard feature for the D9T is EAS. EAS improves fuel efficiency and productivity by automatically selecting the optimal gear and engine speed combination based upon power train load and desired ground speed. This feature functions similar to an automatic transmission.
This convenience feature helps reduce operator work load during operation. Bi-directional shift allows the operator, by just making a directional change, to automatically select the desired forward and reverse gears or the desired forward and reverse speeds when EAS is activated.
This feature adds value by enhancing safety and productivity during the dozing cycle. When not in EAS mode, auto downshift can be used to automatically downshift the transmission when significant load increases are detected, but this feature will not automatically up-shift when load is reduced. Auto downshift provides optimal performance with minimal operator effort. The operator may override these automatic shift features at any time.
High Availability Is Key
Major power train components are modular in design, so being able to quickly remove and reinstall a new pre-tested component gives you the ability to keep the dozer up and running and producing.
Planetary Powershift Transmission
- Three speeds forward and three speeds reverse, utilizing large diameter, high capacity, oil-cooled clutches.
- Oil-to-water cooler for maximum cooling capacity.
- Forced oil flow lubricates and cools clutch packs to provide maximum clutch life.
- Modular transmission and bevel gear slide into rear case for easy servicing, even with ripper installed.
Power Turn with Differential Steering
With differential steering, large blade loads can be smoothly maneuvered throughout a turn.
- Differential steering has the ability to work in tight areas by providing a tight turning radius.
- Differential steering maintains a high ground speed while turning keeping productivity high.
The elevated sprocket and fully suspended undercarriage work together, increasing traction while creating a smoother ride for your operators. The elevated sprocket design transfers implement shock loads to the mainframe, so final drives, axles and steering components are isolated from harsh impacts. These benefits translate into higher production and longer component life.
- Bogie Suspension allows the track to conform to ground condition, providing up to 15% more ground contact, especially in hard, uneven terrain. Higher traction means less slippage, better balance, and a smoother ride.
- Roller frames are tubular to resist bending and twisting, with added reinforcement where operating loads are highest.
- The undercarriage idler guard provides additional wear protection from abrasive material to the moving undercarriage. Includes rubber idler protectors.
- Positive Pin Retention (PPR) sealed and lubricated track is designed for high-impact and high load applications. The Caterpillar design locks the link to the pin reducing the opportunity for premature loss of lubrication. Sealed design permanently coats the track pin with lubricant, minimizing metal-to-metal contact and virtually eliminating internal pin and bushing wear.
All blades feature a strong box-section design that resists twisting and cracking. Blades are made of high tensile strength steel that stands up to the most demanding applications.
- High-Capacity Universal Blade – Maximizes capacity for moving big loads over long distances.
- Semi-Universal Blade – Built for tough applications where penetration is important.
- Optional Dual Tilt – Allows the operator to optimize the blade pitch angle.
- Cutting Edges and End Bits – Cutting edges are made of DH-2 steel. End bits are made of DH-3™ steel for maximum service life. For extremely severe applications, moldboard wear plates, extended wear life end bits and cutting edges are available.
- Cat Work Tools offer a range of special application blades, including coal stockpile blade, landfill blade, cushion dozer blade, reclamation blades and wood chip blade.
- Single-Shank Ripper – Built for the tough ripping conditions and greater ripping depth. Operator can adjust the shank depth from the seat using an optional single-shank pin puller. Large one piece shank, available in deep rip configuration.
- Multi-Shank Ripper – Generally for lighter duty ripping applications in less severe materials. Provides high levels of productivity. Tailors the tractor to the material by using one, two or three shanks.
CapSure™ Hammerless Ripper Tip and Shank Protector Retention System
The tip and shank protector are easily installed with a 180 degree turn of a ¾ inch ratchet. This simple installation means no hammering and therefore improved safety. It also means quicker change outs and less downtime.
Provide proper tractor balance to maximize dozing production. Recommended if dozer is not equipped with any other rear attachment.
The D9T cab is designed and equipped for operator productivity, safety and comfort. The standard isolation-mounted cab reduces noise and vibration. Overall operator sound levels have been reduced by 2 dB(A). Large windows, tapered hood, and notched fuel tank provide excellent visibility to all sides of the machine and around the job site.
The Advisor Monitoring System tracks machine operating conditions in real time.
Operators will enjoy comfort features like standard Cat Optimized Seat, adjustable arm rests and automatic climate control. The climate control system automatically adjusts heater and air conditioning controls to maintain a consistent cab temperature throughout the day. Both heater and air conditioner deliver filtered, pressurized, temperature controlled air to the operator and/or windows. The system performs five functions: heating, cooling, defrosting, pressurizing and defogging.
Additional cab features include:
- Entertainment radio ready and IPOD/MP3 player ready
- Communications radio mounting
- Finishes that make the cab easy to clean
- Heated and ventilated seat option
- Deep storage space
- Two cup holders
- Window wipers (intermittent, low and high speeds)
- A single ergonomic handle with a thumb roller controls direction, turning, forward/reverse shifting and gear selection. Tiller style control helps you work more precisely in tight spaces.
- One touch of the throttle rocker switch automatically adjusts engine speed to high or low idle. The operator can press and hold until desired engine speed is reached, then release for the machine to maintain the new chosen speed.
- A low-effort electronic dozer control handle gives the operator complete control of all dozer functions with one hand.
- The ripper control handle is located to the operator's right, directly behind the dozer joystick. A rigidly mounted hand grip provides firm support for the operator even when ripping in the roughest terrain.
No matter the job; whether you work in heavy construction, medium commercial sites, mine sites, or landfills Caterpillar integrates technology and services to improve your job site efficiency. Using the data from technology-equipped machines, you’ll get more information and insight into your equipment and operations than ever before.
- Auto Blade Assist (ABA) (optional) – Increases efficiency while reducing operator workload. ABA makes use of preset blade pitch positions for the load, carry, and spread portions of the cycle. ABA is standard on the D9T when it is equipped with optional dual tilt. Works with AutoCarry™.
- AutoCarry (optional) – Automates blade lift to maintain desired blade load, improve load consistency, reduce track slip, and reduces operator fatigue. Works seamlessly with Cat Grade Control.
- Cat Grade Control 3D (optional) – The system uses dual ROPS mounted Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) antennas and in-cylinder sensors to provide precise positioning of the cutting edge. Three operating modes – Rough Grade, Grade Protection, and Grade Control – enable consistent grades.
- Cat AccuGrade™ (optional) – AccuGrade is a dealer-installed aftermarket grade control system that provides higher accuracy capabilities by adding laser and GPS technology when required.
- Terrain for Grading (optional) – Enables an electronic site plan to be sent to the machine from the office in real-time, directing the operator where to cut and fill. Provides high precision management of dozing and grading applications for enhanced safety, productivity and efficiency.
- Automatic Ripper Control (optional) – Automatically controls ripper height to limit track slip in hard ripping applications. Lessens fatigue so operator can focus on the job. Reduces machine and component wear, and operating costs.
On the D9T, anchorage points provide your people with a positioning system to perform repairs and maintenance. The D9T consist of eight (8) total anchorage points.
- Two (2) on lift cylinder spray shields
- Two (2) on front top of cab
- Four (4) on ROPS structure
Operator Not Present Monitoring System
This feature locks out the power train and hydraulics to prevent unintentional movement when the operator is not in the seat.
Heavy Duty Steps and Handles
Strategically placed grab handles plus non-slip steps and decking aid operator getting on and off the machine.
Fender Guard Rails
Standard heavy duty guard rails are strategically placed to aid the operator outside the cab.
The D9T offers several lighting package options to enhance the operators’ view of their surroundings during night operation.
- High Intensity Discharge (HID)
- Cat Light Emitting Diode (LED) Work Lights
The D9T offers multiple visibility package options that enhance the operator’s visibility of his or her surroundings and provides a broader view of the work area.
- Mirror in cab
- Mirrors on bulldozer lift cylinders
- Single rear facing camera with 7" display
You will benefit from high uptime and lower upkeep costs with the reliable D9T. The modular design supports efficient servicing and quick turnaround on repairs. Through the ability to swap out a component with a pretested rebuilt or remanufactured unit, the D9T returns to the job faster.
Minimizes maintenance and repair downtime. Sight gauges, filter locations, improved access to oil and coolant sampling ports, and an engine compartment mounted work lamp, make daily and periodic service faster and easier.
Ground Level Service Center
Is mounted on the left hand fender to provide easy access to:
- Access/ Egress lighting switch
- Electrical disconnect switch with built in lockout/tag-out capability
- Engine shutdown switch
- Hour meter
The Ok-to-Start strategy provides electronic fluid level verification at startup on the engine coolant, engine oil and power train oil systems. All information is available via the Advisor Display within the cab.
Fast Fuel System
The fast fuel system at ground level, with positive fuel shut-off to prevent fuel spillage, can reduce fuel waste and decrease downtime.
This system gathers historical trends, histograms, events and more through a wired connection for off-board analysis in applications such as VIMS PC. Additional subscription is required.
Product Link enables the remote transmission of information about the location, operation, and condition of your equipment. Efficiently and effectively monitor performance of your assets to help keep your jobs on schedule, maintain equipment condition, and reduce the costs of owning and operating your fleet.
The D9T offers a number of sustainable benefits:
- The D9T is Grade Control Ready for easy installation of machine control and guidance systems like AccuGrade and Cat Grade Control 3D. These systems improve operator productivity, as well as save fuel and wear and tear on the machine. The need for grade checking crews on the ground is eliminated which increases site safety.
- Ground level service centers enhance safety for operators and service personnel.
- Major components of Cat dozers are built to be rebuilt. The Cat Certified Rebuild program conserves natural resources by delivering a cost effective second and even third, life for our machines.
Legendary Cat Dealer Support
From helping you choose the right machine to knowledgeable ongoing support, Cat dealers provide you with unmatched sales and service.
- Preventive maintenance programs and guaranteed maintenance contracts.
- Best-in-class parts availability.
- Operator training to help boost your profits.
- Genuine Cat Remanufactured parts.